However, the talks have been idle since 2014.
However, the talks have been idle since 2014.
The Palestinians immediately rejected Trump’s move. Bennett, on the other hand, said: „“ Last night the story knocked on the door and gave us a unique opportunity to extend Israeli law to all the settlements in Judea and Samaria (West Bank) and the Jordan Valley. „“ But he reiterated his rejection of a Palestinian state, the creation of which is part of the Trump plan. Bennett spoke of a „“ great diplomatic opportunity „“ not to be missed.
If it is postponed until after the March 2nd election, „“ then it will never happen, „“ he said. He had already founded a committee to deal with the implementation of the annexation project. Israel’s attorney general Avichai Mandelblit said on Tuesday evening that careful consideration should be given to whether an Israeli interim government was authorized to annex parts of the West Bank. Initially, it was said that the government wanted to annex the settlements in the West Bank and the West Bank that Sunday Jordan Valley agree. Tourism Minister Jariv Levin from the ruling Likud party told the army broadcaster that the vote had been postponed „“ for technical reasons. Source: ntv.de, ftü / dpa „Saeb Erekat was already weakened by a lung transplant. (Photo: dpa ) In the Middle East conflict he led the negotiations with Israel, now PLO Secretary General Erekat has died of Covid-19. The 65-year-old was considered one of the most important protagonists in the peace process and in the struggle for a two-state solution. The Secretary General of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), Saeb Erekat, is dead.
This was announced by the Fatah party. The 65-year-old was brought to the Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem in mid-October because of severe breathing problems after a corona illness. Since then, doctors had fought for the former negotiator’s life in peace talks. After his condition worsened, he was placed under general anesthesia and artificially ventilated. The doctors said the treatment was especially difficult because Erekat’s immune system had been suppressed since a lung transplant three years ago.
In addition, there was corona disease and a bacterial infection. Erekat was considered a close confidante of Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas. Hardly anyone in the Palestinians had more experience with Middle East peace talks. The doctor of political science had been chief negotiator in negotiations with Israel since the mid-1990s. However, the talks have been idle since 2014.
People around him described Erekat as intelligent and effective. At the same time, he was seen as a tough negotiating partner who loyally implemented the guidelines of his political leadership. The Palestinian politician was born in a suburb of Jerusalem in 1955.
He comes from a large and widely ramified family that is considered part of the Palestinian upper class because of its wealth.custom assignment writing service At first he was a close follower of PLO chairman Yasser Arafat, who died in 2004. After Abbas promoted him to general secretary of the PLO in 2015, some saw him as future chairman. Erkat spoke no Hebrew, but fluent English. In conversations with Western television stations, he pointedly explained the Palestinians‘ point of view.
He studied in San Francisco and Bradford, UK, among others. There he obtained a doctorate in peace and conflict studies. In Great Britain it became clear to him for the first time that the Middle East conflict could not be resolved by force, but only through negotiations, he said later. Upon his return to the Palestinian Territories, Erekat became a professor of political science at the University of Nablus. He also worked as a journalist.
As a consequence of Israel’s annexation plans in the West Bank, Abbas announced in mid-May that all agreements with Israel and the USA would be repealed. Israel has put its plans on hold in return for establishing diplomatic relations with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), but is continuing to expand its settlements in the West Bank. Erekat had advocated a two-state solution and always sharply criticized the Israeli settlement development as an obstacle to peace. He rejected US President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan, published in January, as the „Fraud of the Century“ and a one-sided pro-Israeli initiative. He also criticized the establishment of diplomatic relations between Israel and two Gulf states because the agreements had been reached without a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The fact that Israeli doctors recently fought for his life triggered a lot of malicious comments on social media. Erekat leaves behind a wife and four children. Source: ntv.de, jog / dpa „“ Saudi Arabia in particular is silent. When will it break its silence? „“, Erdogan railed. (Photo: imago images / Depo Photos) US President Trump’s Middle East plan promises the Palestinians their own state, but promises Jerusalem to the Israelis.
Nevertheless, Arab states like Saudi Arabia are holding back with criticism. It’s a shame, says Turkish President Erdogan, who has condemned several Muslim countries for supporting US President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan. „Some Arab countries that support such a plan are betraying Jerusalem as well as their own people and – more importantly – all of humanity,“ „Erdogan said before the Turkish parliament in Ankara. Turkey categorically rejects the plan that Trump presented on Tuesday together with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He promises the Palestinians a state of their own, albeit under strict conditions and considerable concessions to Israel.
Among other things, it is said that Jerusalem should remain the undivided capital of Israel. The capital of an independent Palestinian state, on the other hand, is to be relocated to suburbs. Shortly after the performance, Erdogan said that this plan was „“ absolutely unacceptable „“.
He is destroying Palestine. “Jerusalem is our red line.” “Erdogan, who is considered a strong advocate of the rights of the Palestinians, focused his criticism primarily on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Oman. „“ Saudi Arabia in particular is silent. When will it break its silence? You look at Oman, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi – the same thing, „“ said Erdogan. „“ Shame on you! Shame on you! „“ The Turkish press, which is close to the government, is also regularly directed against certain Arab countries, in particular Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, which it accuses of moving closer to Israel on the basis of their mutual hostility towards Iran.
So far, however, Erdogan rarely attacked Saudi Arabia directly, and many people in Jordan protested against the US government’s Middle East plan. Dozens of protesters gathered near the US embassy in the capital, Amman. In a telephone conversation with the Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas, Jordan’s King Abdullah underlined his support for the Palestinians in the struggle for a state of their own, according to a message from the palace.
According to UN figures, around two million Palestinian refugees live in Jordan. Source: ntv.de, chr / AFP / dpa „US Foreign Minister Pompeo does not consider the Israeli settlements per se to be incompatible with international law. (Photo: REUTERS) Since taking office by President Trump, the US government supports Israel’s right-wing national policy in the Middle East conflict. The surprising announcement that it will no longer generally consider settlements in the West Bank to be illegal comes at a conspicuous time No longer categorically regards Israeli settlements in the West Bank as violating international law. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the construction of Israeli settlements in the West Bank was „“ not per se incompatible with international law. ”“ The move is one of a series of unilateral pro-Israel decisions the administration of US President Donald Trump. The EU will follow the US course In 1967, during the Six Day War, Israel conquered the West Bank and East Jerusalem, among others.
Today more than 600,000 Israeli settlers live there in more than 200 settlements. The Palestinians want to establish an independent state in the area, and Israel welcomed the US government’s change of course. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke of the correction of a „“ historic wrong decision „“. The Palestinian leadership accused Israel of stealing Palestinian land with the settlements and of restricting the right to freedom of movement of the Palestinians. Nabil Abu Rudeineh, spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, said the US government bears „“ full responsibility for any consequences of this dangerous move. „“ The US embassy in Jerusalem called on US citizens to be more cautious in Jerusalem and the Palestinian Territories .
Government employees were banned from traveling to the entire West Bank and from visiting Jerusalem’s Old City and its immediate vicinity. Pompeo said the U.S. position on this issue has changed several times over the past few decades. After a thorough examination of the legal position, it was concluded that calling the settlements illegal had not advanced the peace process. „“ There will never be a judicial solution to the conflict.
Arguments about who is right under international law and who is not do not bring peace, „said Pompeo. Only a political solution is possible. The Secretary of State emphasized that the US government was not making a statement on individual settlement projects with this step. Each case should be considered individually, by local courts. The decision does not mean any preliminary determination with regard to the status of the West Bank in the event of a peace settlement. “Israelis and Palestinians have to negotiate that with each other.” “Pompeo also resisted the assessment that the US continued to isolate itself internationally. EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said:“ All settlement activities are illegal under international law and undermine sustainability The two-state solution opens up the prospects for lasting peace. „“ The EU calls on Israel to stop all settlement activities in accordance with its international obligations as an occupying power. Israel’s settlement policy is highly controversial.
In December 2016, the UN Security Council asked Israel to completely freeze settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories, including East Jerusalem. Settlements were identified in resolution 2334 as a violation of international law and a major obstacle to peace in the Middle East. During the final days of President Barack Obama’s last days in office, the United States waived a veto and abstained, and settlement construction continued despite the resolution.
According to the peace organization Peace Now, Israel approved the construction of 2,342 settler homes in the occupied West Bank in October alone. The construction of a total of 8,337 apartments in Israeli settlements has been approved since the beginning of the year – significantly more than in the previous year. With its Middle East policy, Trump’s government is consistently deviating from the course of international partners. The new decision is made in particularly turbulent times for Israel in domestic politics and plays into the hands of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is under heavy pressure. Israel is in a political crisis: After Netanyahu failed to form a new government after the parliamentary election in September, Benny Gantz from the center alliance Blau-Weiß expires on Wednesday. If Gantz also fails, there is a risk of the third election within a year. Pompeo asserted that the date of the announcement had no connection with domestic political events in Israel.
He responded evasively when asked when the US would present its long-announced Middle East peace plan. The US government’s vision is presented „“ when the time is right „“. First, the government formation process in Israel must be completed. Source: ntv.de, bad / vpe / dpa „Posters in the West Bank advertise the construction of settler apartments. (Photo: picture alliance / dpa) Israeli settlement construction is already extremely controversial, now the head of government is announcing Netanyahu plans to build thousands more apartments in a strategically important area. That could put a peaceful two-state solution a long way off. Israel’s right-wing conservative Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced the construction of 3,500 settler apartments in the occupied West Bank just a week before the parliamentary elections.
The apartments are to be built in the strategically important area E1 east of Jerusalem, reported Israeli media. Netanyahu said this at a party event, a Likud spokeswoman confirmed. Netanyahu had only announced the expansion of two Jewish quarters in annexed East Jerusalem on Thursday.
A total of 5200 apartments are to be built for Jewish residents. In addition, 1000 apartments are to be built in the Arab district of Beit Safafa. Area E1 is considered to be particularly sensitive to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, as it divides the West Bank into a north and a south half.
It is one of the 60 percent of the West Bank that is under full Israeli control. In the past, the federal government had also warned against the construction of settler housing in the area, because this „“ significantly reduces the prospects of a contiguous Palestinian territory – and thus the feasibility of a two-state solution. Israel’s settlement policy is highly controversial. At the end of 2016, the UN Security Council called on Israel to completely freeze settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories, including East Jerusalem. Settlements were described in UN resolution 2334 as a violation of international law and a major obstacle to peace in the Middle East.
The US had shared this view in the past, but moved away from it in November. Israel conquered the West Bank and East Jerusalem, among others, during the Six Day War in 1967. The Palestinians, on the other hand, want to establish an independent state of Palestine in the area with East Jerusalem as its capital.
The third early parliamentary election within a year will take place next Monday in Israel.